Wednesday, October 21, 2009

First Shots of the Monolith Project

I've been spending the bulk of the time on this project so far planning things out. Looking closely at the Monoliths and seeing how I'm going to go about running all the wires, get the LEDs in place, and figure out the necessary resistors for it all while I'm at it. I recovered two monoliths from the Tyrant after he cried his eyes out about them being ruined and I set out to try and fix them up. The models were already mostly assembled excepting the corner guns and the clear green plastic tubing. I cleaned them up, and then set out to destroy them


As you can see I ripped off all of the arching structures above the pyramid structure, to give my self easier access to drill holes in the top and help me run the necessary wires on the inside.

















From here I drilled holes in the very bottom of the pyramid, Shown on the right. And drilled a hole in the very top, shown below.











As you can see this drilling expedition was not nearly as effective as the bottom hole. I need the hole to be in the center, but when I started the drill up I hadn't yet decided to rip off all the upper arches. I tried to get the hole done at an angle, and well you can see the results. I'll fill the hole with a bit of epoxy, cut a plasticard disc to size and put a new bottom layer, then I'll re-drill that hole.





Here I've drilled a hole into the side of the center collumn to allow a channel for the wires to the corner guns and the interior lighting.















Because the 9v battery is thicker than the available space I'll need to add a spacer ring. This adds a bit of height and facilitates hiding all of the wiring during game play.






Finally I've got the cuts showing how I opened up the Corner guns to get LEDs in there. Also I needed to drill out the interior to make sure there was a path for the light to get to the gun Barrels.

Next up Cybernetic Monoliths, now with extra wire!


No comments: